CURRICULUM at SHS for KEY STAGE 4
The Stourport High School and Sixth Form College recognises every student as an individual. The curriculum at Key Stage 4 facilitates personalised choice and at Key Stage 4 all our students study the core academic subjects at GCSE including English, English Literature, mathematics, sciences (combined or separate awards) and non-examined PE, SMSC and SRE. They then make four free options choices from a selection of twenty-three GCSE and Vocational subjects.
PLEASE NOTE: Student option choices fully support the EBACC but we allow a free selection to meet the personal needs of individual student.
* At Key Stage 4 students study a minimum of nine subjects comprising of the core academic and option subjects. This is both academically challenging as well as offering a wide breadth of study.
* All courses at Key Stage 4 are challenging and rigorous following, and extending on, the awarding bodies’ specifications.
* Students are appropriately guided to whether they study combined science or separate science based upon prior attainment. Both science pathways are delivered within the allocated core lesson time.
* Students are set in ability groups in the following subjects: Mathematics, English, science and PE. In all other subjects students will be in mixed ability option groups.
* The curriculum continues to be taught by promoting the mastery of knowledge through interleaving and regular formative assessment. At Key Stage 4 teaching also focuses on applying that knowledge to a range of contexts.
* SMSC and SRE teaching (offered through specialist drop down days) continues to promote students’ social, moral and cultural development.
* Students’ spiritual development and understanding of British values and culture is delivered through social studies, SMSC, assemblies and tutorials.
* The enrichment and extra-curricular programme continues to enrich students learning, opening opportunities to experiences that broaden students’ horizons. The programme also includes impartial careers advice, GCSE support and exam preparation in Year 11 delivered during Social Studies lessons.
The timetable for Key Stage 4 is based on a two-week cycle and comprises of a 30 period week with 6 fifty minute lessons per day. These will be a blend of single and double periods.
In addition to the core subjects there will be opportunities to learn and put into practice the knowledge and skills related to work related learning and enterprise. These will take place across the curriculum within different subjects and activities. They provide students with an experience of working life and help them learn about working practices, the work environment and developing skills for working life. As a school we feel work experience is an essential aspect of students’ development and aim to support them in an ever increasing competitive world of work. We strongly support and encourage our students to broaden horizons and pursue their dreams. Consequently, all Year 10 students have a week of work experience during the summer term.
Our school focuses on equipping students with the skills and qualifications needed to support them in continuing their education journey post 16 in order to avoid NEETs.
|KS4 GCSE Guided Choices|
|KS4 BTEC Guided Choices|
|Art and Design||Sport|
|Health & Social Care||Music Technology|
|Performing Arts – Acting||Business|
|Post 16 Level 3 Subjects On Offer|
|Drama / Theatre Studies||Computer Science|
|English Literature||English Language / Literature|
|Health & Social Care||Hospitality & Catering|
|Music Technology||Performing Arts|
|Philosophy & Ethics||Physical Education|
Please contact Sarah Forbes, Vice Principal to find out more information about our curriculum.
Detailed course/subject information can now be found here. Please download a copy for each course you are interested in: