Transition is a process that happens many times in our lives as we move from the old to the new. The transition from primary to secondary education is undoubtedly one of the biggest that your son/daughter will have faced to date and sometimes it will be met with excitement, anxiety and uncertainty. At The Stourport High School & VIth Form College, we view transition as a process from as early as Year 5 through to progression into our VIth Form, further education and beyond. To support this process we continue to build on our already strong links with primary schools and offer a transition programme consisting of:
· Our Director of Transition, Miss Russell, visits each feeder primary school once half-termly, spending two hours with both Year 5 and 6 students on a weekly rotation.
· In Year 5, students begin to explore the emotional intelligence of students, working with them to provide the skills needed to be able to deal with issues such as friendship, conflict resolution and anger management. We also encourage the ethos of teamwork and leadership as they move into Year 6. In addition to these sessions, students are given the opportunity to visit our school site to attend a transition festival in the summer term.
· In Year 6, students are introduced to key members of The Stourport High School & VIth Form College community, such as our Safer Schools Officer, Attendance Welfare Officer and future Director of Learning – Year 7. Students explore key secondary school themes such as organisation, timetabling and Independent Study. Students will begin to discuss and share ideas on how they will learn to plan and prioritise their time at school and home. In addition to these sessions, students are given the opportunity to visit our school site to attend a 2 to 3 day transition event in the summer term, which includes our main Transition Evening for prospective parents/carers.
· During this period, our Director of Transition will continue to liaise with our primary colleagues, Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Department and medical team in order to ensure support is in place for both pre and post transition to our school.
· Students from non-feeder primary schools transitioning to The Stourport High School & VIth Form College will also receive a visit from our Director of Transition or one of our Senior Leadership Team. They will be given the opportunity to ask any questions and be informed about all the transition events happening at The Stourport High School & VIth Form College.
Miss J Russell
Director of Transition
Transfer From Primary To Secondary
If your son/daughter is currently in Year 6 at primary school please return the common application form which can be accessed from your local primary school or online at www.worcestershire.gov.uk to your primary school and they will forward it on your behalf.
The deadline for applications for the September 2019 intake is 31 October 2018. Any applications received after this date will be considered after all others.
LATEST CORRESPONDENCE FOR TRANSITION
Download our latest transition information pack here: Transition pack 2018
In-Year Admissions – (Outside The Normal Transfer From Primary To Secondary)
If you wish to apply for a place at our school, please download the application form on the ‘Local Authority Admissions Information‘. When completed please return to school admissions either via email or by post to Mrs Sarah Forbes, The Stourport High School & VIth Form College, Minster Road, Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire DY13 8AX
We welcome applications from all students wishing to attend The Stourport High School and VIth Form College and children together with their parents.
The Stourport High School and VIth Form College is an academy school and therefore responsible for its own admissions policy and process.
Questions regarding in-year admissions (outside the normal transfer from primary to secondary) can be made directly to us by contacting Mrs Forbes on 01299 872950 or by email: email@example.com
For 2017-18 admissions:
For 2018-19 admissions: